Wednesday, April 23, 2014

When Easter Gives You Ham Make...Ham & Bean Soup!

Well Easter has come and gone.  This year was super fun for all of us. Em enjoyed not only the thrill of hunting eggs, but also her surprises from the Easter bunny (Oh Tangled and Frozen... you thwarted me in my effort to keep the princesses at bay!)

I cooked the traditional Easter feast of ham, potatoes au gratin and asparagus.  There's one slight problem though... I got a ten pound spiral ham for three of us! So in this post I am going to share with you my favorite leftover ham recipe.  I've known it all my life, it's a family recipe. (Mom, please don't be mad that I'm sharing it and please don't leave in the comments that I'm doing it wrong. Love you!)

Ham and Bean Soup With Dumplings

1 onion diced
3 carrots diced
3 celery stalks diced (more if the hubby really likes celery)
3 garlic cloves minced
1 can diced tomatoes
2 14.5oz cans low sodium kidney beans rinsed
2 14.5 cans low sodium navy/northern beans rinsed
2 cups diced ham
32 oz chicken stock
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 tablespoon granulated garlic (divided)
2 bay leaves
1 egg
1/3 cup of flour
salt and pepper to taste


In a large dutch oven over medium to low heat sauté the onions in the olive oil until translucent. About 3-4 minutes. Add carrots and celery and continue to sauté another 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant. 

Add tomato paste and cook until all of the veggies are coated and the paste has turned rust in color. 
 
Add the diced tomatoes and delgaze your pan a bit with the liquid from the tomatoes. I had the ham bone left over so I threw it in. More flavor man!
Stir in ham, beans the chicken stock, worcestershire sauce, ketchup, Italian seasonings, and granulated garlic. 

Then sprinkle in the baking soda. The soup will bubble up and foam, but it's supposed to do that. Then bring to a simmer and let it cook all day! - The baking soda takes the gassiness out of the beans, I guess.
20 minutes before you want to serve its time to make the dumplings!  I know this might be a bit weird but go with me on it. I think these might be the favorite part of the soup for me.
First, pull out the circa 1986 (or older) orange tupperware bowl with a handle thingy and add an egg. Wait! You don't have an orange tupperware bowl thingy circa 1986? Must just be me. Then grab any medium sized bowl and add an egg.  

Next add 1/3 cup flour salt and pepper and the remaining granulated garlic.  With a fork stir the egg and flour until combined. 

Dough mixture will be wet and kinda sticky. 

The using two spoons add drop the dumpling mixture into the soup in teaspoon size balls.  You will want to turn the heat back up to a low boil while the dumplings cook.  

Cover and let the dumplings cook for about 15 minutes and you are all done! The soup is ready!
You can serve the soup with just about anything, crescent rolls, garlic toast... but for me I'm all about the plain saltines. 

A few side notes- this soup freezes really well, is better the next day and if you need it to be gluten free just don't add the dumplings.

Happy after-Easter and I hope that this soup ends up on your menu soon. (I'm working on getting a printable available so stay tuned!)

2 comments:

  1. love the 1986 orange tupperware!! way to rock the vintage. ;)

    also - thanks for adding the "how to make it gluten-free" part! yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had you in mind when making the gluten-free note! :)

      Delete